Alt Wien, Karlskirche by Max Pollak

Alt Wien, Karlskirche by Max Pollak

Alt Wien, Karlskirche

Max Pollak

Title

Alt Wien, Karlskirche

 
Artist

Max Pollak

  1886 - 1970 (biography)
Year
c. 1915  
Technique
etching and soft-ground etching with color aquatint 
Image Size
22 3/4 x 20 1/8" platemark; 21-7/16 x 19-1/4" image size 
Signature
pencil, lower right 
Edition Size
not stated; presumed fewer than 25 impressions 
Annotations
pencil titled, lower left 
Reference
 
Paper
heavy, sturdy cream wove 
State
published 
Publisher
artist 
Inventory ID
23196 
Price
SOLD
Description

"Karlskirche" --or St. Charles Church -- is the commonly used name for the Rektoratskirche St. Karl Borromäus, an 18th century structure on the River Wien in Vienna, Austria. The Baroque structure was commissioned by Charles VI, King of Bohemia, to honor Charles Borromeo (1538 - 1584), saint of bishops, catechists, and seminaries, who was cannonized in the 17th century for healing and feeding tens of thousands of plague victims in Milan after the ruling class fled in fear.

In 1713, when the last great Plague began to sweep through Vienna, as a prayerful pledge King Charles VI vowed to build Karlskirche in the saint's honor if the plague left the city. By 1715 the Plague had ended and construction of the church began on the bank of the River Wien.