Palestine, Mosque of Omar a.k.a. Mosque of Omar with Cypresses by Max Pollak

Palestine, Mosque of Omar a.k.a. Mosque of Omar with Cypresses by Max Pollak

Palestine, Mosque of Omar a.k.a. Mosque of Omar with Cypresses

Max Pollak

Please call us at 707-546-7352 or email artannex@aol.com to purchase this item.
Title

Palestine, Mosque of Omar a.k.a. Mosque of Omar with Cypresses

 
Artist

Max Pollak

  1886 - 1970 (biography)
Year
c. 1932  
Technique
etching and color aquatint 
Image Size
18 1/8 x 12 3/4" platemark 
Signature
pencil, lower right 
Edition Size
7/100 (8 impressions printed) 
Annotations
pencil titled, "Mosque of Omar with Cypresses" in lower left; bears the red FPC collector's stamp in the lower left; from the collection of Friedl Pollak; also inscribed "printed a. 8" in lower left corner of the paper 
Reference
 
Paper
ivory simil vellum 
State
published 
Publisher
artist 
Inventory ID
22570 
Price
$450.00 
Description

Dome of the Rock, or Mosque of Omar, is an Islamic place of worship located on the Temple Mount inside the Old City of Jerusalem and is the oldest existing Islamic Monument. Built in 685-91 as a place of pilgrimage, the octagonal building has richly decorated walls and a gold-overlaid dome mounted above a circle of piers and columns. The Dome of Rock enshrines the rock that is believed to be the place from where the Prophet Muhammed ascended to heaven during his night journey to Jerusalem. The “Verse of the Throne” is written in the interior of the dome and the whole ceiling structure is held up by eight supporting pillars. There are four large supporting pillars around the neck of the dome, representing the four seasons in the year. Twelve columns around the neck of the dome represent the twelve months in a year and fifty-two windows around the building represent the weeks in the year.

Max Pollak, painter and printmaker, was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1886. He was raised in Vienna and, in 1902, he entered the Vienna Academy of Art where he studied under William Unger and Ferdinand Schmutzer. In 1912, Pollak traveled to Italy, France, and Holland to study and paint. During the First World War, he was appointed painter of the Austrian Army.

He immigrated to the United States in 1927, living for a time on the east coast where he produced a series of color aquatints of New York, Cincinnati, and Detroit. His first exhibition was at the 57th Street Art Gallery in New Yorkand he was commissioned by Theodore Dreiser in 1929 to illustrate his book, My City. In 1938, Pollak and his wife, Friedl, moved to San Francisco, California. Pollak was inspired by his new city and its environs and produced beautiful views of San Francisco Bay Area. Later travels included trips to Mexico and Guatemala.

Max Pollak was a member of the Chicago Society of Etchers and the California Society of Etchers. His work is represented in the collections of the Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life, Berkeley, California; the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art, University of Oregon, Eugene; the British Museum, London; the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the New York Public Library, New York; the Oakland Museum of California Art; the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, California; and the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.

 

Please call us at 707-546-7352 or email artannex@aol.com to purchase this item.