House and Garden (WPA) by Marguerite Redman Dorgeloh

House and Garden (WPA) by Marguerite Redman Dorgeloh

House and Garden (WPA)

Marguerite Redman Dorgeloh

Title

House and Garden (WPA)

 
Artist
Year
1939  
Technique
lithograph 
Image Size
11 x 12 7/8" image 
Signature
pencil, lower right 
Edition Size
about 28 impressions 
Annotations
pencil titled; WPA stamp on verso "MAR 7 1939" 
Reference
GSA WPA catalogue page 258, Newark Museum, New Jersey, #FA3001 
Paper
cream Warren's Oldestyle watermarked wove 
State
published 
Publisher
Federal Art Project, WPA 
Inventory ID
AFAE162 
Price
$400.00 
Description

According to Karla Andersen's article "The Octagon House," there may have been eight octagon houses in San Francisco. Two remain today: the Feusier House on Russian Hill is a private residence and the Cow Hollow house built for William C. McElroy in 1861. The octagon house illustrated in Dorgeloh's lithograph is the McElroy house before it was moved.

In 1951, PG&E decided to develop the property and sold the house for $1.00 to the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. The organization moved the house across the street to 2645 Gough Street (at Union Street) and restored it. The exterior is in its original condition and the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.