Wien: Schwarzenberg Palais by Max Pollak

Wien: Schwarzenberg Palais by Max Pollak

Wien: Schwarzenberg Palais

Max Pollak

Please call us at 707-546-7352 to purchase this item.
Title

Wien: Schwarzenberg Palais

 
Artist

Max Pollak

  1886 - 1970 (biography)
Year
c. 1919  
Technique
aquatint and soft-ground etching 
Image Size
23 x 19 5/16" platemark 
Signature
pencil, lower right, in image 
Edition Size
not stated 
Annotations
pencil titled, lower left, in image; titled "Vienna, Schawrzenberg Palais", along lower left sheet edge; red Friedl Pollak Collection stamp in lower left sheet corner 
Reference
 
Paper
cream wove 
State
published 
Publisher
artist 
Inventory ID
22607 
Price
$450.00 
Description

The Palais Schwarzenberg is a Baroque structure located within the grounds of Vienna's Schwarzenbergplatz. Designed by architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt in 1697, it was completed under the direction of master-builder Anton Erhard Martinelli in 1728.

Immediately following the commencement of World War II, which entailed the siege of Vienna by Soviet forces in April of 1945, alterations were made to the grounds shown in this image. Using the labor of German prisoners of war, the lawn and marble statuary were removed and paved, and a massive Soviet war memorial colonnade was erected in front of the Palais, featuring a twelve-metre bronze and gold statue of a Red Army soldier.

Aside from these changes much of the Palais remains the same, featuring a Marmorgalerie (marble gallery) and original architectural features, and it operates partially as a hotel and event venue.

 
Please call us at 707-546-7352 to purchase this item.