La Morada de Don Fernando de Taos by Harold Joe Waldrum

La Morada de Don Fernando de Taos by Harold Joe Waldrum

La Morada de Don Fernando de Taos

Harold Joe Waldrum

Title

La Morada de Don Fernando de Taos

 
Artist
Year
c. 1985  
Technique
color aquatint with etching 
Image Size
16 3/4 x 16 5/8" platemark 
Signature
pencil, lower right 
Edition Size
25 of 45  
Annotations
pencil editioned, lower left 
Reference
 
Paper
white wove 
State
published 
Publisher
artist 
Inventory ID
19919 
Price
$3,500.00 
Description

The ruins of a chapel in Taos, New Mexico. By 1760 the Village was named "Don Fernando de Taos" by the Spanish settlers. Historians believe the name is attributed to Captain Don Fernando de Chavez, one of the leading settlers prior to the rebellion, who owned the land currently knows as the Cristobal de la Serna land grant. Don Fernando never returned following the rebellion.

Wikipedia notes: "La Morada de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, also known as 'Taos Morada', is a holy site and past home of La Fraternidad Piadosa de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno in Taos, New Mexico. The Penitent Brothers, or the Hermanos Penitentes used the Morado for religious study of ancient Catholic lay religious practices.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and received monies from the National Park Service, the state Historic Preservation Office, and CETA funds for the restoration of Taos Morada to its state during the mid-1800s. The restoration, though, did not allow for religious devotions by Hermanos.

In 2005 the museum board agreed to sanction certain devotional exercises, which began April 11, 2006 during Holy Week for Hermanos from Northern New Mexico Moradas. In or after 2008, the Morada became the property of the Catholic Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Taos and the Archdiocese of Santa Fe."